Dr. Robert Kratochvil
Associate Professor; Extension Specialist, Extension Coordinator for PSLA
Education and Experience:
- B.S. in Plant and Soil Science-Crops Option; Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, 1972.
- M.S. in Agronomy; University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1988.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy; University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1994.
As an Extension Specialist, I rely upon my applied research program to provide much of the information I use for my Extension Education programs. I focus my research and extension efforts to three areas of specialization:
- Identify, evaluate, and educate agronomic crop farmers about crop production practices that will maximize profit.
- Design production practices for cropping systems that incorporate sound, economical nutrient and best management procedures.
- Evaluate alternative and value added crop opportunities for Maryland farmers.
1. Identify, evaluate, and educate agronomic crop farmers about crop production practices that will maximize profit.Corn
- Performance of nitrogen enhancement products used with sidedress nitrogen application (2008).
- Corn hybrid response to nitrogen rates (2008).
- Evaluation of corn and soil test-based prediction tools for determining adequacy of fall residual nitrogen for wheat planting (2005- current).
- Corn hybrid performance tests. (annual: see www.mdcrops.umd.edu)
- Row width and plant population effects on corn performance (1996-2003).
- Performance of corn in a double crop production system (2001-2003).
- Performance of Bt genetic traits for European corn borer and corn rootworm in corn hybrids (2002-2004).
- Evaluation of early maturity soybean varieties as an escape mechanism for Asian soybean rust (2005-2008).
- Effect of soybean maturity upon amount and availability of fall residual soil nitrogen for wheat planting (2007-current).
- Soybean response to varying planting dates with and without fungicide seed treatment (2001-2002).
- 'Roundup-Ready' soybean response to row-width and seeding rates in full season and double-crop systems (2001-2003).
- Performance of food and specialty type soybean varieties (2000-2006; see www.mdcrops.umd.edu).
- Evaluation of seed inoculant (Bradyrhizobium japonicum) use for soybean (2003-2004).
- Soft red winter wheat response to fall nitrogen (2005-current).
- Soft red winter wheat response to seeding rates (2001-2002).
- Barley response to nitrogen fertilizer rates (2005-current).
- Barley response to seeding rates and seeding depths (2005-2007).
2. Design production practices for cropping systems that incorporate sound, economical nutrient and best management procedures.
- Evaluation of planting techniques for cereal cover crops (2007-current).
- Long-term evaluation of cropping systems for the remediation of phosphorus enriched soils (2000-current).
- Effects of early and late planting and kill dates on cereal cover crop performance (2004-2006).
- Sustainable non-chemical alternatives for managing root knot nematodes (2000-2002).
- Post-harvest corn stalk management for no-till wheat planting (2000-2001).
3. Evaluate alternative and value added crop opportunities for Maryland farmers.
- Identification of production practices for alternative uses of tobacco (2003-current).
- Winter canola variety performance tests (2008).
- Hulless barley management practices (2004-2007).
- Management practices for attaining hard red winter wheat quality (2002-2004).
- Performance of malting barley in the mid-Atlantic region (1998-2001).
- Grunberg, A.M., J.M. Costa, and R.J. Kratochvil. 2001. AFLP Polymorphism in a Selected Sample of Soft Red Winter Wheat Genotypes. Cereal Research Communications 29:251-258.
- Kratochvil, R.J. and T. Miller. 2002. Effect of Row Width and Plant Population on the Performance of Corn Grown for Grain in Maryland. Mid-Atlantic Grain and Forage Journal. Online [www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/magfj]. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. 7: 1-7.
- Kratochvil, R.J. and T. Miller. 2002. Effect of Row Width and Plant Population on the Performance of Corn Silage in Maryland. Mid-Atlantic Grain and Forage Journal. Online [www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/magfj]. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. 7: 8-14.
- Grunberg, A.M., J.M. Costa, and R.J. Kratochvil. 2002. Pre-harvest Sprouting in Soft Red Winter Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Grown in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic. Cereal Research Communications 30:95-101.
- Costa, J.M., A. Cooper, A. Grybauskas, R. J. Kratochvil, D.J. Sammons, and E. Shirley. 2002. Registration of 'Catchpenny' Barley. Crop Science 42:1378.
- Lo, Y.M., J.E. Hall, R.J. Kratochvil, W.J. Kenworthy. J.A. Radinsky, and E.B. Johnson. 2003. Integrating Value-Added Research with Field Management Practice: An Effective Extension Mechanism at the University of Maryland. Journal of Extension 41:2. http://www.joe.org/joe/2003april/iw1.shtml
- B.C. Fermin, J.A. Radinsky, R.J. Kratochvil, J.E. Hall, and Y.M. Lo. 2003. Integration of Rapid Derivatization and Gradient Elution Techniques for Enhanced High Performance Liquid Chromatography Analysis of Key Amino Acids in Wheat. Journal of Food Science 68:(9) 2667-2671.
- Dillehay, B.L., G.W. Roth, D.D. Calvin, R.J. Kratochvil, G.A. Kuldau, and J.A. Hyde. 2004. Performance of Bt-corn Hybrids, their Near Isolines and Leading Corn Hybrids in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Agronomy Journal 96:818-824.
- Kratochvil, R.J., J.T. Pearce, and M.R. Harrison Jr. 2004. Row-Spacing and Seeding Rate Effects on Glyphosate-Resistant Soybean for Mid-Atlantic Production Systems. Agronomy Journal 96:1029-1038.
- Kratochvil, R.J., S. Sardanelli, K. Everts, and E. Gallagher. 2004. Evaluation of Crop Rotation and Other Cultural Practices for Management of Root-Knot and Lesion Nematodes. Agronomy Journal 96:1419-1428.
- Kratochvil, R.J., M.R. Harrison Jr., J.T. Pearce, K.J. Conover, and M. Sultenfuss. 2005. Nitrogen Management for Mid-Atlantic Hard Red Winter Wheat Production. Agronomy Journal 97:257- 264.
- Dillehay, B.L., D.D. Calvin, G.W. Roth, J.A. Hyde, G.A. Kuldau, R.J. Kratochvil, J.M. Russo, and D.G. Voight. 2005. Verification of a European Corn Borer (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) Loss Equation in the Major Corn Production Region of the Northeastern United States. Journal of Economic Entomology. 98(1):103-112.
- B.C. Fermin, J.A. Radinsky, R.J. Kratochvil, J.E. Hall, and Y.M. Lo. 2005. Effects of Proline and Glutamine on the Functional Properties of Wheat Dough in Winter Wheat Varieties. Journal of Food Science 70:(4) 265-272.
- Kratochvil, R.J. and R.W. Taylor. 2005. Evaluation of Twin Row Corn Production in the Delmarva. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2005-0906-01-RS.
- Kratochvil, R.J., M. Harrison Jr., and J.T. Pearce. 2005. Evaluation of Double Crop Corn. Mid-Atlantic Grain and Forage Journal. Online [www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/magfj]. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. 9:18-29.
- Kratochvil, R.J. 2005. Hulless Barley: Does It Have a Future in the Mid-Atlantic USA? Cereal Foods World. 50:5:273
- Costa, J.M, C.A. Griffey, H.E. Bockelman, S.E. Cambron, X. Chen, A. Cooper, C. Gaines, R.A. Graybosch, A. Grybauskas, R.J. Kratochvil, D.L. Long, E. Shirley, and L Whitcher. 2006. Registration of 'Choptank' Wheat. Crop Science. 46:474-476.
- Kratochvil, R.J., F.J. Coale, B. Momen, M.R. Harrison Jr., J.T. Pearce, and S. Schlosnagle. 2006. Cropping Systems for Phytoremediation of Phosphorus-Enriched Soils. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 8 (2):117-130.
- Everts, K.L., S. Sardanelli, D.K. Armentrout, R.J. Kratochvil, and L.E. Gallagher. 2006. Suppression of Root Knot and Lesion Nematodes by Cover Crops, Poultry Litter and Poultry Litter Compost. Plant Disease. 90: (4) 487-492.
- Costa, J.M., C.A. Griffey, H.E. Bockelman, S.E. Cambron, A. Cooper, C. Gaines, R.A. Graybosch, A. Grybauskas, R.J. Kratochvil, and D. Marshall,. 2007. Registration of 'Chesapeake' Wheat. Journal of Plant Registrations. 1: (3) 1-2.