Dr. Joseph Sullivan
- A.B. in Biology from Erskine College, Due West, SC.
- M.S. in Biology from Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC.
- Ph.D. in Plant Physiology from Clemson University, Clemson, SC.
The research in my laboratory centers on the responses of plants to various forms of environmental stress - both natural and anthropogenic. We investigate the physiological mechanisms that enable plants to exist in a wide range of environmental conditions and how human activities such as stratospheric ozone depletion, global climate change or urbanization may impact plant, agricultural or ecosystem productivity or ecosystem structure and functioning.
- The role of increasing levels of UV-B radiation on plant growth and development.
- Assessment of the importance of urban trees and forests in improving air and water quality and enhancing carbon storage and sequestration.
- Forest succession in southern Appalachian grassy balds.
- ENSP400: Capstone in Environmental Science and Policy
- PLSC201: Plant Structure and Function
- PLSC400: Environmental Plant Physiology
- PLSC471: Forest Ecology
- PLSC685: Advanced Plant Ecophysiology
- Xu, C., W.M. Garrett, J.H. Sullivan, T.J. Caperna and S. Natarajan. 2006. Separation and identification of soybean leaf proteins with two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry. Phytochemistry 67:2331-2340.
- Destefano, D.A. A.P. Grybauskas, J.L. Sherald, B.M., Q. Huang and J.H. Sullivan. 2007. Effects of the growth regulator Paclobutrazol on growth of the bacterial pathogen Xylella fastidiosa. Journal of Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 33: 246-252.
- Sullivan, J.H.,D.C. Gitz III, L. Liu-Gitz, C. Xu, W. Gao and J. Slusser. 2007. Coupling short-term changes in ambient UV-B levels with induction of UV-screening compounds. Photochemistry and Photobiology 83; 863-870.
- Xu, C., J.H. Sullivan, W.M. Garrett, T.J. Caperna, S. Natarajan. 2008. Impact of solar ultraviolet-B radiation on the proteome in soybean lines differing in flavonoid contents. Phytochemistry 69: 38-48.
- Xu, C., S. Natarajan and J.H. Sullivan. 2008. Impact of Solar Ultraviolet-B radiation on the antioxidant defense system in soybean lines differing in flavonoids biosynthesis. Environmental and Experimental Botany 63: 39-48.